My favourite books
- Cook with Jamie, Jamie Oliver, 2007
- Forever summer, Nigella Lawson, 2002
- Mary Berry’s Baking Bible, Mary Berry, 2009
- How to bake, Paul Hollywood, 2012
- Les desserts qui me font craquer, Christophe Michalak, 2010
New book to come onto my shelf: Ruby Violet’s Ice Cream Dreams by Julie Fischer (Can’t wait to discover lots of great ice cream ideas!!)
My favourite magazines
During my first year in the UK, I became fan of some food magazines:
- Jamie Oliver Magazine– Jamie Oliver offers to discover his cooking style: “confi” and family cooking. You can find great inspiration for your week meals, diner parties or barbecues. Styles are very diverse: Italian, English, American, Mexican… A great interpretation of the modern English cuisine. Love it! If you cannot access the magazine (there is now a French version), have a look at Jamie’s website. It is nicely presented and very instructive. Yummy!! I am hungry now! 🙂 http://www.jamieoliver.com/
- Delicious – The most delicious are their very British cakes and desserts. I love their cookies, doodles and other biscuits with chocolate and nuts! They offer as well good British classic recipes. It is a good way to learn some UK classics. A section presents some recipes from famous cooks such as Nigella Lawson, Jamie Oliver, etc.
In France, I am more focus on gastronomy and high French cuisine:
- Thuries– For the most refined foodies, the French magazine Thuries represents a huge source of inspiration as well as for the chef. This magazine is a beautiful showcase for the current French gastronomy. It offers complex and amazing recipes of the greatest chefs of the French cuisine. You will find articles from chefs and great patissiers. The pictures are gorgeous.
- Saveurs– If you have never bought this french magazine, this is a good source of inspiration for small diner parties and French meals. For my part, it is been a few years that I read the magazine and I am getting slightly bored by the recipes. They seem to lack of new ideas. The strong point of the concept is the discovery of new products and always present recipes with seasonal products. Sometimes, the recipes measurements are not quite exact so verify before to follow exactly the instructions.
- Art et Gastronomy – The latest French magazine I like. Pictures are beautiful, articles very interesting. I am fond of the design… Again, they propose files about seasonal products, chef recipes, books, restaurants… I cannot be more exiting by this magazine. If you wish to have a look on the magazine style, you can read some of them online on the website.