Just a quick info for everyone: I am a huge fan of rhubarb and I am back to the country of rhubarb!!!
I just received today 800gr of very nice rhubarb sticks ==> It is time for a nice rhubarb and meringue tart!! YUMMIIIII! This recipe is my interpretation of the classic one. Except for the crust which is a Christophe Felder’s recipe ;).
Now that I have the rhubarb back into my life, I may post several recipes with that ingredients… like a strawberry- rhubarb crumble or a dessert with a strawberry and rhubarb compote and tea Matcha cream… Nice things like that. 🙂 The strawberry and rhubarb association is one of my favourite! I cannot live without it!
The rhubarb tart recipe is divided in 3 steps: the crust, the rhubarb compote and the Italian meringue. Here is the recipe:
Rhubarb tart with Italian meringue
By August 29, 2013Published:
- Yield: 1 tart (6 Servings)
- Prep: 3 hrs 0 min
- Cook: 40 mins
- Ready In: 3 hrs 40 mins
Delicious rhubarb tart with meringue on top, one of my favourite recipe coming from my mother
- 80 gr Icing sugar for the tart
- 120 gr Butter for the tart
- 1 pincée Salt for the tart
- 1 Egg for the tart
- 25 gr Almond powder for the tart
- 200 gr Flour for the tart
- 25 cl Milk for the flan
- 15 gr Vanilla sugar for the flan
- 2 Egg whites for the meringue
- 125 gr Sugar for the meringue
- 5 cl Water for the meringue
- 1 dose Water for the poaching liquid
- 1 dose Sugar for the poaching liquid
- First, prepare the dough for the tart Mix the icing sugar and the butter, then add the salt and the egg. Finally, add the almond powder and the flour. Use a spatula and put the dough in a clingfilm. Make a bowl and put it in the fridge for 2 hours minimum
- Clean the rhubarb, cut the extremities of each stem and peal of the first skin of the rhubarb in order to avoid hard bits
- To poach the rhubarb, prepare a syrup. Weight equal measures of sugar and water Put the sugar and the water in a pot and dissolve the sugar by heating the pot. Add the rhubarb in the syrup and cook gently until soft.
- Roll the dough to obtain 2 millimeters and put it in a tart tin (24cm is good) Stick the dough with a fork and add some cooking paper and clay balls to cover it. This steps will prevent the crust to rise during the cooking process. Cook for about 20 minutes. You need to get a golden crust.
- Let the crust chill for a few minutes and add the rhubarb. Prepare the flan to add on top of the rhubarb Mix 2 eggs, the milk and sugar and add it to the tart. You just need to cover the top of the tart.
- Put back in the oven for 10 minutes and verify if the flan is set. If yes, put the tart out of the oven and if not let the tart in the oven until cooked.
- Prepare the italian meringue. First prepare a syrup with the sugar and water. Beat the whites until stiff in a food processor. Put the sugar and the water in a pot and heat until 118°C (and not more than 120°C) Combine the syrup and the whites by running the syrup on the edge of the bowl in order to decrease the syrup and combine heavenly.
- Add the meringue to the tart. 2 options: Put the meringue in a pipping bag and create little spicks on the top of the tart or use a spatula to create a funkier design. Put your tart under a hot grill for a few minutes to obtain a nice colouration.